PhD Student and Research Associate (f/m/d) in Semantic Web, Machine Learning, and/or Natural Language Processing
KIT is one of the world’s leading research institutions in the field of technology. The Web Science research group at the KIT Institute AIFB is known worldwide for its research in the field of knowledge representation and, under the direction of Dr. Färber, deals with data science topics. The research group’s focus is on the development and application of artificial intelligence (AI) methods. The core topics include the semantic representation of knowledge through knowledge graphs, machine learning (e.g. for search and recommendation systems), natural language processing, the combination of knowledge graphs with machine learning or natural language processing, and the Internet of Things.
The methods are developed, among other things, to support digitization in companies through intelligent systems. The focus is also on the implementation of the FAIR principles, the support of scientists, and AI-based science communication. Examples of this are recommendation systems for scientific publications and the creation of scholarly knowledge graphs.
The research group works closely with the Information Process Engineering (IPE) research division of the FZI Research Center for Computer Science (FZI). There are also numerous connections to national and international research institutions and companies.
For our team at the “Web Science” chair, we are looking for a PhD student with the following tasks:
- Performing research in at least one of the following areas: Semantic Web (e.g., knowledge graphs), machine learning (e.g., deep learning), natural language processing.
- Contributing to national and international research projects, often with industry partners.
- Participation in teaching (e.g., organizing seminars and exercises for lectures in English, as well as for German if applicable).
- Presentation of research results and prototypes in the context of publications and talks at national and international level.
- A very good master’s degree in computer science, computational linguistics, mathematics, or a related subject (completed or almost completed studies).
- Expertise in the field of semantic web, machine learning, and/or natural language processing.
- A high degree of personal responsibility, motivation, commitment, and excellent teamwork skills.
- Good knowledge of English and presentation skills.
We offer you an attractive and modern workplace with access to the excellent equipment of the KIT and the university chair, a varied and responsible job with an open and pleasant working atmosphere, a wide range of advanced training options as well as an additional pension according to VBL, flexible working time models, a subsidy for the JobTicket BW, a canteen, as well as the possibility of international research stays.
Salary: The remuneration occurs on the basis of the wage agreement of the civil service in TV-L (E13, 100%; around € 50,000 gross per year).
Contract duration: Limited to one year with an option to extend for a further three years.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Application up to: June 20, 2021. Later applications can be taken into account where applicable.
For technical information, please contact Dr.-Ing. Michael Färber (michael faerber∂kit edu).
Please send your detailed application with cover letter, CV, copies of degrees and certificates in one PDF file to Beate Kühner (kuehner∂kit edu) and Dr. Michael Färber (michael faerber∂kit edu).
We prefer to balance the number of female and male employees. Therefore, we kindly encourage female applicants to apply for this job.
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.
KIT is certified as a family-friendly university (familienfreundliche Hochschule) and offers part-time employment, leaves for family-related reasons, dual career options, and individual coaching for family-work balance.
More information can be found in the linked PDF document.
PhD-Students / Research Associates