PhD Student and Research Associate (f/m/d) in Natural Language Understanding, Knowledge Graphs, or Machine Learning
KIT is one of the world’s leading research institutions in the field of technology. The Web Science research group at the KIT Institute AIFB is known worldwide for its research in the field of knowledge representation and, under the direction of Dr. Färber, deals with data science topics. The research group’s focus is on the development and application of artificial intelligence (AI) methods. The core topics include natural language processing (e.g., information extraction from text), the semantic representation of knowledge through knowledge graphs, machine learning (e.g. for search and recommender systems), and the combination of these topics (see the examples here).
The research group works closely with the Information Process Engineering (IPE) research division of the FZI Research Center for Computer Science (FZI). There are also numerous connections to national and international research institutions and companies. An excellent infrastructure with servers and high-performance computers (e.g. HoreKa, one of the 15 fastest computers in Europe) is available for research.
For our team at the research group Web Science (lead: Dr. Michael Färber), we are looking for a PhD student with the following tasks:
- Performing research in at least one of the following areas: natural language understanding/natural language processing, knowledge graphs, machine learning.
- Contributing to national and international research projects, often with industry partners.
- Participation in teaching (e.g., organizing seminars and exercises for lectures in English, as well as for German if applicable).
- Presentation of research results and prototypes in the context of publications and talks at national and international level.
- A completed or almost completed master’s degree in computer science, business informatics, industrial engineering, computational linguistics, mathematics, or a related subject.
- Expertise in natural language understanding/natural language processing, knowledge graphs, or machine learning.
- A high degree of personal responsibility, motivation, commitment, and excellent teamwork skills.
- Good knowledge of English and presentation skills.
- A modern workplace with access to the excellent equipment of the KIT and the university chair. This includes access to servers and high-performance computers and a notebook.
- A varied and responsible job with an open and pleasant working atmosphere and the freedom to familiarize yourself with research topics.
- Flexible working times.
- International, financially supported research stays and reimbursement of all conference trips.
- A wide-ranging, financially supported further training offer, also “outside the box”.
- An additional pension according to VBL and a canteen.
Salary: TV-L (E13, 100%; around € 57,000 gross per year).
Application up to: March 6, 2022.
It is recommended that you submit your application as early as possible.
For technical information, please contact Dr.-Ing. Michael Färber (michael faerber∂kit edu).
Please send your detailed application with cover letter, CV, copies of degrees and certificates in one PDF file to Beate Kühner (kuehner∂kit edu) and Dr. Michael Färber (michael faerber∂kit edu).
We prefer to balance the number of female and male employees. Therefore, we kindly encourage female applicants to apply for this job.
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.
KIT is certified as a family-friendly university (familienfreundliche Hochschule) and offers part-time employment, leaves for family-related reasons, dual career options, and individual coaching for family-work balance.
PhD-Students / Research Associates