In my research, I connect the modelling of behaviour (eg. from Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Systems, Business Process Modelling, and dynamical systems) with web technologies for semantic knowledge representation (Knowledge Graphs, RDF, OWL) and system interaction (HTTP).
Some approaches that I investigate currently:
- Decentralised data ecosystems require new approaches to authorisation and authentication around identities, e.g. decentralised (DID) or self-sovereign (SSI). Web technologies can contribute to the interoperability.
- Neuro-symbolic approaches, e.g. with Large Language Models combined with Knowledge Graphs, to bring AI planning to new application domains.
- Hybrid approaches of physical models and knowledge graphs allow for answering queries that consider both factual knowledge and knowledge about the dynamics of systems (e.g. manufacturing systems)
- In the area of analytics, I investigate methods to analyse time series of semantically described data, e.g. the evolution of data on the Linked Data web.
With those foundations at hand, we can specify web agents, also called intelligent clients, which can automate things for you on the web, the Internet of Things, or in Industry 4.0.
Currently, I coordinate the COST Action 19134, a European network on the topic of Distributed Knowledge Graphs, I led the AI part of KIGLIS, a BMBF-funded project on AI and the optical communication networks in a Smart City, I lead the KIT part of BMBF-funded project MANDAT about using web technologies for data ecosystems with data fiduciaries, I help in the BMBF-funded DigiBatMat to digitise battery material sciences using semantic technologies, I serve as program chair at KIT in SeReCo, a german-french doctoral college.
A DFG-funded AI research unit 5339 at KIT and Fraunhofer started this year about the fast maturisation of immature manufacturing processes using AI methods, where I am among the PIs.
In terms of community service, I organise ATAC, a challenge on agents and Linked Data for the International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2021) and I serve on the organising committee for the 2020 and 2021 edition of the SEMANTiCS conference.
Find some code I wrote on Github, where I publish Read-Write Linked Data (REST + Linked Data) intefaces to systems, IoT sensors and actuators, and services, besides code to harvest and process Linked Data.
|Since 02/2021||Junior Research Group Leader for Knowledge Graph-based AI Systems|
|Since 08/2023||Akademischer Rat (sometimes translated to Lecturer)|
|04/2021 - 03/2022||Deputy Professor for Applied Informatics|
|2019||PostDoc in the research group Web Science|
|2018||Defense of my PhD thesis entitled "Behaviour on Linked Data"|
|2014||Research visit at Universidad de Chile|
|2013||Researcher at Institute AIFB at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)|
|2013||Graduation in Industrial Engineering and Management from Karlsruhe Insitute of Technology (KIT)|
|2011||Research visit at the Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DER), Galway, Ireland (now the Insight Centre for Data Analytics)|
|2022||Best Poster/Demo Award, 18th International Conference on Semantic Systems (SEMANTiCS)|
|2020||Best In-Use Reviewer Award, 17th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC)|
|2020||Shortlisted for 7-years most influential paper award, 17th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC)|
|2017||Teaching Award, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology|
|2014||Best Paper Award, 4th International PROFILES workshop|
|2016||Software Campus Fellowship|
|2013||Best Poster Award, 10th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC)|
|2012||Research Student Award, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology|
- Semantic Technologies, Knowledge Representation And Reasoning, Information Systems, Agent Systems, Workflow Management, Big Data, Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Blockchain, Solid